The Popsugar Must Have Box is supposed to be one of the higher-end subscription boxes. It’s $35 a month. They sent out “must have” items in different categories, like beauty, fashion, lifestyle, food, etc. This is a re-subscription, because I’ve tried Popsugar once before and hated it. They sent out a 50% off coupon randomly for this month, so I figured I’d give it another shot.
First Impressions: I FINALLY got my box. I feel like Popsugar sent my box out later than many other people’s. It took a week from when they (finally) sent the box for it to be delivered, so I’ve already seen everything in the box all over the internet. The box itself was pretty heavy.
- Kooringal Giselle Mid Brim Hat ($27.99)- It’s a big floppy hat for wearing out to the beach or pool. I do like that the brim has a wire in it so that you can affix the hat in any jaunty angle that you like and it will stay that way. I think the hat is really cute, but I did notice some hanging strings from where the pieces are sewn together. (Maybe I just got a dud, though.)
- Pacifica Natural Color Quench Lip Tint ($7)- Basically, it’s lip balm. It has a nice scent, but the color is very, very sheer and it feels a little waxy to me.
- The Modern Margarita ($7.99)- This is a pack of margarita mixers in different flavors, plus sugar to put around the rim of your glass. I’ve seen them in the drugstore (and bought some) before. They taste pretty decent, although most of them are very sweet. They’d be fun to bring to a party!
- “Questions I Ask When I Want to Talk About Myself” card deck (approx. $13)- This is a deck of big cards with anecdotes and weird stories on them, written by Mindy Kaling (from The Office and The Mindy Project). After the anecdote is a question that you are supposed to ask your friends. However, you would have to be rip roarin’ drunk to actually ask these and expect honest answers from people. Plus some of the questions could lead to really awkward conversations.
- Way Better Snacks sweet potato chips- Basically, they’re “health food” potato chip, although the bag says “tortilla chips.” I tried one and thought it was dreadful, honestly. They taste like over-toasted sesame seeds.
- Charm & Chain gift card/coupon- I got a $30 off coupon to this store. As of right now, there is nothing in the store that’s even $30 or under that I could find, so to use the coupon you’ll still have to spend some money. Some of the jewelry is cute, but a lot of it looks huge and clunky. I enjoy some clunky cocktail rings sometimes, but these just look gigantic!
- The Original Beauty Blender and Blendercleanser- (approx. $35)- This is the item I’m most excited about and am very happy to get. I’ve been wanting to try one of these for quite some time, but I didn’t want to fork over that kind of money for what is essentially a makeup sponge (albeit a really nice one).
- Plus a Popsugar branded mini-tote which would be useful as a lunch bag or for carrying around some small stuff.
Conclusions: All in all, this is a really nice box. On top of that, I only paid $18 for it which and got approx. $90 worth of stuff. I’m not including the coupon in there, because that’s really not an actual item because you need to spend more money to get anything out of it. I really like most everything, but $35 is a lot for me to spend per month on a box that has appeared (to me) to be really hit-or-miss in the past. In the back of my mind I keep remembering the first terrible box I got and wonder if the next box will be more like that one than this one. I think I’ll just keep my eye out on the next few boxes, and if they seem to have really improved, I will resubscribe for a while.